Dedicated to Law & Order
2021 Moved to Weymouth. I am certainly no stranger to Dorset however, having had a place in Southbourne, holidayed here with friends and family living here, and also stationed in Bournemouth as part of following up on the Clapham train crash in 1988. I do have history here.
2020 Set up The Law & Order Foundation.
2009 Retired from the police force. In the last 4 years I have arrested and detained 21 shoplifters.
2004 Set up and ran the campaign, Knives Destroy Lives.
2001 Set up a UK initiative in response to 9/11 and raising funds for NYPD & other 9/11 projects.
1995 – 1997 2 year career break.
- Set up the Victims of Crime Trust, supporting families of victims. Patrons: Denise Bulgar, Sara Payne & Richard Taylor.
- Campaigned to improve the criminal justice system in favour of victims of crime.
- Campaigned for victims of crime & witnesses to have separate seating areas in courts.
- Supported Ann & Charlie Ming, whose daughter was murdered, and the guilty offender freed. (The case overturned double jeopardy laws & allowed two of Stephen Lawrence’s killers to be tried for murder.)
- Worked with Lord Faulkner & Home Office to ensure Victim Impact Statements given by victims/relatives of homicide & other serious crimes.
- Supported Tracy Morgan campaigning for a Protection from Harassment Act.
1993/1994 Invitation to Oxford University to speak about child psychopathy in the wake of the murder of James Bulger.
1994 Protect the Protectors campaign set up, for front-line police. Campaigning for police to carry side-handles batons, stab resist vests and CS spray. Known as ‘One of the best-known voices of British Policing’ (Police Review magazine).
1988 Part of the Major Incident Team in Bournemouth for the Clapham Train Crash.
1985 Apprehended an armed burglar and was stabbed in the chest. 6 months taken as unpaid leave after 11 weeks of recovery. I raised money for Victim Support and set up a charity to support community projects.
1982 Kicked repeatedly in the head and on the body by three members of a pickpocket gang, during an arrest. Extensive corrective surgery required over three years. I received a double commendation.
1978 – 1980 Joined the British Transport Police & accepted onto CID.